Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Wednesday, December 27, 1944

Grandma gives the blow by blow account of every Christmas present they received.  Each set of parents sent money so that Grandma and Grandpa could buy presents in their names for each other.  There were lots of sets of underwear exchanged as it was a more practical Christmas than most.

""With your money for Bud I bought a shirt and a couple of suits of underwear from Mother.  Uncle Ned and Aunt Edel gave him underwear.  Peg gave him a watch band and underwear.  He needed underwear badly so that is what I bought.  We decided that we would buy things that we needed.  Bud got me from Mother a slip and two pairs of panties with elastic all the way around and the same thing from Peggy."

Grandpa did have one surprise up his sleeve however.

"After all the presents were opened I couldn't imagine why I didn't get anything more from him and I looked and there was nothing, and then he went over under the chair and pulled out the big package with my robe.  Boy was I ever thrilled!  It is the most beautiful one that I ever had."

There are still more presents to come their way as there was some back up with the mail delivery.

"I found out yesterday that down at the railroad express there are 37 cars that haven't been unpacked yet so I guess that must be the reason we have not received your presents yet.  Don't worry you know how I love to open presents so it doesn't hurt when they get here.  I always say better late than never. Ha ha."

Grandma finally moves beyond the lists of presents and focuses on the true meaning of Christmas: family.

"I know that it must have been hard on you Xmas without Daddy.  I felt sad all day but tried not to think of him too much.  Bud handed me the presents to me just like Daddy did.  Oh, how I wish that Daddy could have met Bud.  All the kids that come over to see us envy me so for I have such a wonderful husband and we are so happy.  They think it is marvelous."

I am elated to hear that my Grandfather was such an amazing human being.  That means the world to me because I know he meant the world to Grandma.

Grandma and Grandpa are on the left with an unknown friend

On May 19, 1940

1 comment:

  1. A very, very sweet letter I'm sure. That's a wonderfully happy photo, too!

    ReplyDelete