Monday, May 25, 2015

Monday, January 15, 1945

Now Grandpa's starting in on the whole advice escapades.  Rather, Grandma is telling her mother that Grandpa said for Great-Grandma to move into a smaller place so that she will FINALLY listen to reason.

"Mother, Bud told me to be sure and tell you to move if you get a chance.  Don't wait for us to come home.  He feels that you are spending too much money and that you should move.  I know you are in a very convenient place and hate to think of your having to move into something real small.  Be sure to get a place where you can cook and won't have to take your meals out.  You might be able to get something near the Zehs."

Grandpa has also given Grandma the advice on becoming Lutheran.  Now I am totally biased, but that is the best move Grandma ever made.  Growing up Lutheran, and growing up in my church, made a hug impact on me,  Essentially we are Catholic light or also know as Catholic without the guilt.  It's pretty frickin sweet.

"Oh yes, we went to church.  We got to church every Sunday.  Bud wants to have me start taking instructions so I guess I will and will join his church.  That is one of his very strong desires and I know he will be very happy when I become a member."

Church is something you can always come back to.  That community is always there.  When we went to their church in St. Louis for Grandpa's funeral, it was standing room only in the back.  I don't remember ever going to church there but I was quite young when he passed. The snippets of the service that I recall were beautiful but I remember the limo ride to and from the cemetery more than the service.  Eight year olds remember the oddest things.

1 comment:

  1. Advice from the heart! This must have been a very sweet letter.

    ReplyDelete