Sunday, May 10, 2015

Friday, December 1, 1944

Thanksgiving has gone in the newly minted Robinson household.  Grandma's chicken dinner was a success!

" Yesterday was Thanksgiving.  I knocked off early and we got a chicken.  I invited Dick over for dinner.  We had Lipton's chicken noodle soup, tomato and lettuce salad, chicken (broiled), I baked a cake and made ice cream.  It all turned out very good and Bud was very proud of me.  I am getting a lot better with this cooking."

I'm glad she's getting better and in reality, I was just as bad as she was in the beginning of my cooking.  All it takes is practice.  I cannot help that cooking relieves my anxiety and I am naturally anxious person.  It also provides an outlet for my obsessive internet research habit.  Like right now: what is your favorite summer side?  I already have corn with jalapeño, garlic, cilantro butter and watermelon salad.  Please reply in the comments... See?

Grandma and Grandpa are looking forward to their first Christmas together, but they were hoping they were able to make it back to Missoula for the holidays.  This will be Great-Grandma's first Christmas without Great-Grandpa.  I know that it's been weighing heavily on Grandma's mind. 

"I know this Xmas is going to be hard for you and I wish that Bud and I could be there.  We would keep you going so you wouldn't even have time to think.  I know that you will enjoy talking to Bud.  He is very witty and he is also very smart.  I'm prejudice tho."

I am forever grateful that Grandpa came in Grandma's life whens he needed him most.  He took care of her when she didn't know how to ask.  He stepped in and did what needed to be done.  He reminds me of a very special man in my life who knows how to take care of me when I don't know how to ask.  I don't know how Grandma and I ever got to be so lucky.  I guess Grandma and I are just stubborn enough to tell the universe what we want and it gets tired of us yelling at it.  

The Great Man in Grandma's life
On May 10, 1940

2 comments:

  1. Favorite summer side? Anything fresh from a garden, especially a chop salad made of at least 6 veggies with fresh mozzarella added, olive oil, salt, pepper and a dash of brown sugar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo brown sugar? Sounds interesting I will have to try that in my next grilled veggie salad.

      Delete