Saturday, May 9, 2015

Thursday, November 21, 1944

Grandpa is back on shore!  They returned hi m to his old post.  Grandma is ecstatic and teensy bit obsessive.

"Bud came home Saturday.  They took him off  the ship and he is back on his old job and I am once again as happy as can be.  He came home Saturday afternoon.  He is going to stay here now so I hope we never get separated again.  I really found how much I love him and certainly did miss him"

Beverly, Grandma's old roommate, will finally join the married ranks and understand Grandma's obsessive pain.  Grandma'a feeling a bit left out because she had no idea the engagement was coming and she cannot stand up with Bev at her wedding because she is not Catholic.

"It was certainly a surprise to all of us when she told us she was going to be married.  He is a sailor and his name is Phil Coleman.  I only met him once but he is a very nice boy.  He is Catholic too, and they are going to be married at mass in about 3 weeks.  I can't stand up with Bev because I'm not Catholic.  Mary is going to stand up with her.  I guess she is going to be married in her uniform."
One of the major tenants of being a newly-married lady is that you have to cook for your beloved husband.  That is one of the many things I have discovered Grandma and I share: a desire for cooking.  I say a desire for cooking because Grandma is still mastering it.  I'm not saying I have but from what I remember, I am a better cook than she was when I was growing up.  HOWEVER, Grandma can roast the heck out of some chicken (I am still working on that) and Grandma still needs work on her roast (Beef and I are best friends).  And as always, Grandpa is there supporting her all the way.

"Bud got me an apron when he was in Key West.  It is blue satin with U.S. Navy on the pocket.  It is really cute and he always wants me to wear it.  We will have been married 2 months this coming Sunday.  I guess we won't celebrate Thanksgiving until next week.  I am going to have a nice chicken dinner because just two with a turkey would be too expensive and too much.  I don't think I could make a turkey anyway, I 'm not good enough yet.I had a roast once and it didn't turn out too good-- it was tough and I know it was because of the way I cooked it.  How you cook a roast, Mom."

I wonder if we still have the apron somewhere?

No comments:

Post a Comment