Monday, May 25, 2015

Monday, January 22, 1945

The Missoula new wire is hoppin!  Grandma starts out the letter with:

"There isn't much to tell you."

and ends 9 paragraphs later.  Well, one of the paragraphs is about her new fabulous diet so we can skip that one.

There is an awful lot of talk about Babies from Grandma and Grandpa.  You can tell Grandpa REALLY wants kids soon, but Grandma is the one pumping the brakes.

"Bud really like it when you said in your letter that you didn't think you would have an Xmas tree until your Robinson grandchild was there ot enjoy it.  I hope we will have one but I would like to wait a little while longer until we have money saved.  Bud says that things would work themselves out but I don't think we should have a child if we don't have a little money ahead."

Grandpa wants those babies so bad!

Not all of the news was good news.  One of their neighbors passed away and Grandma wants Great-Grandma to reach out to their family especially the grieving widow.  The widow is not handling it well, and Great-Grandma would know how to comfort her best.

"Did you see Laura when she was there for Mr. Crain's funeral?  By the way, did you send any flowers o his funeral?  You know, Bud and Laura sent flowers to Daddy.  I understand that Mrs. Crain has taken it very hard.  Why don't you call her up.  I know that I should write to her and I believe that I will.  Mr. Crain was always so nice to me.  Cancer is a terrible thing.  He didn't know he had it.  Nunnie was the only one who got home and he got there before his father died.  I guess Mr. Crain went to pieces when he saw Nunnie.  Nunnie has been in a lot of action and he is only 20 years old."

It is always shocking when the circle of life continues when a war is on. 

1 comment:

  1. Margaret, I really like the way you have selected certain passages from the letters and added your own comments. In a way, that's probably harder than just transcribing the entire letter. It seems like during the war, no letter was without both good and bad news, a little advice, a little about friendships and a little about food. I wonder when those babies will come:-)

    ReplyDelete