Friday, May 8, 2015

Friday, November 17, 1944

Grandma's personality shines through each one of her letters.  I know exactly how she said each written line.  There is a cadence I recognize and know her guttural responses to most items in her letters.  On the other hand, I am completely lost when it comes to Grandpa's letters.  I have no clues on how to read in between his lines.  I pride myself on finding the writ'er voice and his eludes me.

I have no idea how to interpret Grandpa's letter.  He is a reporter.  He mentions important facts in their daily lives that show no indication of his personality.  I have to say I am disappointed.  I never knew my Grandfather, I get his letter decades later, and I can't find him.  It's heartbreaking.

The one paragraph with any insight is the one he writes about my Grandmother and her new fad diet.  His personality comes through loud and clear when he talks about her.

"Now about the diet Betty's on, I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.  You know Betty and she doesn't stick to it well, she'll just about stay with it enough to keep her from gaining any more weight, although she has visions of getting down to 115 lbs.  Women are funny that way, if they're thin, then their ego is satisfied.  I once heard a fellow say, let your wife have her way in the little things then when the big things come along she'll let you do the deciding, it might be true.  Anyway, I didn't marry Betty for her physical attributes, but for the girl inside em, I like her just the way she is."

His personality shines through when he talks about Grandma.  Also, he and I REALLY like commas/don't know how to use them.


My favorite photo of Grandpa

Happy 70th Anniversary of VE Day!

1 comment:

  1. I think you may know your grandpa better than you imagine. You have each sentence in his letter and perhaps they suggest what was important to him. In any case, his paragraph about Betty is indeed precious, and that tells a lot about him.

    ReplyDelete