Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Thursday, November 2, 1944

Ladies and Gentlemen, in an effort to be a better Granddaughter and blogger, I have set myself a challenge.  30 days from today's date will be the 14th anniversary of Grandma Robinson's passing.  I want to complete the journey I began almost two years ago on that date.  That means 33 letters in 30 days.  I owe it to my Grandmother to finish what I started and to prove to myself that I can actually do this.  And off we go!

Letter writing is a lost art form.  People could not contact each other as readily in the past as they can today.  We are constantly available to everyone.  People can contact me in some form or another with the swipe of a finger tip.  It used to take people hours to connect over the phone lines.  Not to mention how insanely expensive it was to just connect the callers.  You couldn't even get through sometimes!  Letters were far cheaper to send and you say (write) as much as you wanted to.

Grandma received a nice, long letter from a neighbor, Mrs. Timm, in Missoula.  She relayed the information stated in Mrs Timm's letter back to Great-Grandma Shannon also in Missoula.  Great-Grandma Shannon and Mrs. Timm had to wait at least two weeks to share information with each other that they could have shared over the garden fence.

"I got the nicest and longest letter from Mrs. Timm.  I am going to keep writing to her so she won't feel so lonesome.  I can just tell that she is lonely.  She said that she would surely be mad if you, Mother, beat her to being a Grandmother.  Bud and I really got a kick out of that.  She also said that you had received the proofs and liked them.  I think they are very good, especially of Bud.  What do you think of your son-in-law?"

Great-Grandma Shannon would rejoice in Grandma and Grandpa's first child Uncle Jim in 1948.  She would know true joy when she got to meet the miracle known as Margaret Jane Robinson, AKA my Mom, in 1950.  My Uncle Jim would definitely roll his eyes if he knew I was typing this.  He would also probably remind me that unlike the two of us, my mother does not have red hair.  And you know what is nature's most wondrous event?  A natural born Ginger.

Great-Grandma Shannon, Uncle Jim, Grandma, and Mom

On May 6, 1945

2 comments:

  1. So nice to see your post and that's a wonderful family snapshot! I hope you meet your goal of posting the remainder of the letters and I will cheer you on each day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for all of your support through out this entire process! Thank you thank you thank you

      Delete