Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Monday, December 11, 1944

Grandma is starting to fuss at Great-Aunt Peggy again.  She hasn't sent Grandma and Grandpa a letter in almost 2 weeks.  The absolute gaul!

"As yet, I haven't heard from you, Peggy, in almost 2 weeks.  I wish you wouldn't neglect us so.  I at least get some kind of letter to you now and then.  Bud got a letter from you, Mother, which we were more than glad to receive.  It was a very newsy letter."

Grandma is getting upset with the people she loves because she cannot be with them at Christmas.  Grandma and Grandpa are trying to get into the full Christmas spirit.  Grandma keep stalking about getting  a tree and going Christmas shopping.  She's just getting something small for everyone. 

"We went Xmas shopping Saturday and we hope to finish it up today.  I am sending Peggy's present homes.  I do hope they get there for Xmas.  I have to get Marylin a little something but as yet I haven't done it.  She wrote and told me our Xmas present is on the way."

This Christmas is not all about the different gifts my Grandparents are getting everybody, but it's also about the true meaning of Christmas for them.  They are sharing what they have with one of their friends Dick who has fallen on herder times.

"He has been out of a job and then he had to leave the place where he was living on the beach so he is over at our place sleeping on the divan.  It opens up into a double bed.  He is leaving Tuesday.  We were glad to help the poor kid out because when he was working and did have money he was very generous us.  If we were broke that didn't matter, we still would go out with them."

Even in War time, or rather especially in war time, people pull together and make the world go round.

The apartment

On May 12, 1940

1 comment:

  1. Being away from family on a holiday is hard, then and now! I think during wartime, those holidays held such special meaning. Love the expression, "a newsy letter" :-) My mom used to say that, too.

    ReplyDelete