Thursday, May 7, 2015

Monday, November 13,1944

Grandma's honeymoon is finally ending.  The Navy has come knocking on Grandma and Grandpa's door.  How dare they?! Grandpa was supposed to be stationed in the training facility in Miami, but another ship's store keeper messed up the accounts so badly they hd to call him in.

"The storekeeper on the the ship had got the accounts all messed up and Bud is the only one who knows and understands Disbursing and so he was detailed to go on board the ship for a month and teach this storekeeper.  Well, it turned out that his transfer was to be permanent.  It is a school ship and goes out for 6 days and comes back for a couple days and they sometimes only go for 3 days. Bud called the Chief down at the Training Center and told him they thought this was a permanent transfer on the ship.  So we are hoping they will put another store keeper on the ship and bring Bud back  and put him on the staff.  All we can do is hope and pray.  I guess things could be worse, but is seems to me he has had enough of sea duty and rates shore duty. ... It seems so awful, be cause we finally got our apartment and everything was going so well and we were so happy.  This will be the first time we have been separated since we have been married.  I guess I will live through it though."

I love ho head strong Grandma is.  She has a plan for her life and doesn't want to settle for anything less.  She still has things to do before she becomes a mother and doesn't question her choice to wait to have a family.

"Well, I think everything will turn out all right and I will stay in the Navy.  The only way I can get out now would be to be pregnant and I don't feel yet that I want a child.  I know that Bud does but I don't want one for a couple of years.  I guess I hate the thought of having to settle down too tight."

World War II provided the first real taste of independence for women.  They were allowed to hold government sanctioned jobs and build careers for the first time in Modern history.  It never even crossed their minds that they were changing the world.  They just wanted to serve their country in its time of need.


2 comments:

  1. Yay Margaret! You got another one done:-) Your grandma would be very proud. I'm anxious to know whether or not Bud had to stay at sea. There were many unknowns during wartime and they were lucky to be able to be together as much as they had been thus far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is so exciting is the next letter is from Bud (Grandpa)! I cannot wait! Thank you again for being such a wonderful cheerleader! You truly motivate me!

      Delete