Monday, May 25, 2015

Friday, January 12, 1945

They finally received a letter form Great- Grandma Shannon!  It gave updates about her first Christmas by herself and how things are faring for her in Montana.

"We got a big long letter from you yesterday.  Your Xmas seemed to be very nice. I know it is hard for you without Daddy and I am so glad that you got through OK.  I only wish I would have been able to be there.  Now I think you had better go ahead and look for a place and if you can find a cheap enough one whey go ahead and move in.  I know that you hate to move but you may need your money later.  When Bud and I come home I know we will be able to stay with someone.  Maybe you can get a a place with a davenport that we can sleep on or something.  We hope to be home sometime in the spring.  Don't spend your money foolishly.  Bud and I are starting to really scrimp now.  Every time I want to spend some money why Bud says, "Do you want to go home?" and then I don't spend the money.  I also do like wise with Bud."

Grandma and Iare amazing people to receive advice from, just ask us.  Especially when we were in our twenties.  We knew everything about everything.

Grandma received news from friends back home.  It sounds like they had a high old time over the Holidays.  

"I got a letter from Marilyn the other day and here is what she said.  "New Year's eve Evelyn told me that we could bring any friends we wanted to her house.  Well, Louis Dwight called up and George and Lola Lawrenceson were with him so they went with us.  Also, a sailor from Kalispel and a friend of his went with us.  It seemed a little like old home week. We really had a wonderful time."

They even go to a Hollywood party and meet one of Bing Crosby's directors.

"Later on in the evening I went with Louis and Lola and George up to a producer's apartment.  I met a lot of movie people including Bing Crosby's director.  From there we went to Louis' brother's home You ought to see hims home.  It is really beautiful."

I think I just figured out that Marilyn is out in Los Angeles due to reading ahead in the letters, because I originally thought now what is Bing Crosby's director doing up in Missoula, Montana? 

1 comment: