Monday, February 17, 2014

Wednesday, April 5, 1944

The Court of Inquiry demands perfection.  Grandma had to edit her dictation, and retype the whole thing neatly.  It was over 200 pages, on legal paper, and she used a typewriter!

"It is down being checked for errors in procedure and then I will make the corrections and then I will be through with it.  I am rather glad.  It has kept me busy though, but just the same I am pretty tired.  Commander Graham is going to give me a couple days off to rest.  You know, I worked night and day.  The thing turned out to be 200 pages and some odd on legal sized paper.  This is a lot of work and for a person doing it all by themselves and who has never done that before that is really a lot of work."

I am glad her CO is letting her take a few days to recuperate because when she comes back, her friend Mildred is heading to New York.  That means that my Grandmother is now in charge of the Security Office.

"Mildred, the girl who works with me is going to go to New York.  I really hate to see her go.  That means I will be in charge of this office now.  I certainly hope that I can do as good a job as she does.  I am afraid that will be impossible because she has been here since the Security Office opened and she knows everything."

I am trying to figure out what the security office did, but that will be for another blog post.

Living Situations at the barracks are annoying Grandma.  They're putting restrictions her social life and she despises it.  When Great Aunt Peggy arrives in Miami, Grandma will live with her in a rented apartment.  She cannot wait.

"Although I can hardly wait till Peggy gets down here and I think that I can move out of the barracks.  They are getting pretty tough on us over at the barracks.  We now have to be in at 1 o'clock in the morning.  We can get passes to stay out though.  I don't often stay out after 1 but sometimes you might want to and I hate to think of having rules."

They even make her go on watch on Saturday nights!

"I have the watch Saturday night which makes it just too lovely for me.  I will look good from a good sleep on Easter Sunday though."

The AUDACITY!



No comments:

Post a Comment