Friday, February 21, 2014

Tuesday, May 9 , 1944

I was wondering when he would show up.  Store Keeper First Class Bud Robinson.  He was a man I was too young to know, but I am told he was an inspiration.  I wrote him a letter when he passed, and tucked it in his coat pocket for him to read in heaven.  I hope he understands this blog is a continuation of that letter.  A bridge across the void. There'd better be internet up in heaven.

I'm thrilled Grandma's finally mentioned him.  I get the chance to know him before their lives were turned upside down.  He was the best Grandpa he was able to be.  Reports from Family members state that he was someone you could learn to live life from.  He meant that much.  This is the first clue I have in my Grandpa mystery.

"I had a nice time over the weekend.  This boy I have been going with is a storekeeper first class and his name is Bud Robinson.  He is from St. Louis.  I went to church with him Sunday.  He made me go to his church with him.  It is the Lutheran church.  After church we went over to those people's place on the beach.  Their name is George O'Brien.  It was George's birthday so we spent all day on the beach and went in swimming and in the evening we went to a nice restaurant and had a steak dinner.  They had a special cake for him and we had a nice time."

I was his only Granddaughter and now I get to know him.  I can't wait!

In all of her letters, Grandma never gives such a full report of her current suitor.  Grandpa was special from the beginning.  He was probably sent by Great-Grandpa Shannon to make sure Grandma would be ok.  

I'm glad Grandpa is able to be there for Grandma because my Great Aunt Peg and Grandmother are desperately trying to move forward.  

"I got a letter from Peggy.  She said she is working hard and I am glad because it keeps her mind off Daddy.  She said ti does but when when she goes to bed at night she tosses all around.  I do the same thing but I keep pretty busy in the daytime so I forget for a while."

The way to handle grief is to stay busy and move forward.  The only way to move is forward, you can't go back.

Store Keeper First Class, Walter Robinson
On this day in WWII history

No comments:

Post a Comment