Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Monday, May 15, 1944

Mother's Day past and Grandma did not receive a phone call or letter from her Mother thanking her for the flowers she wired to her.  However, it is only the day after Mother's Day so I am certain Grandma will receive word soon.

"Well, I hope you got the flowers that I wired to you & I hope they were nice."

Grandma spent Mother's Day with her future husband, Bud Robinson.  I'm not certain what Grandma has against the people Grandpa hangs out with, but she refers to them as those people.  I guess the answer will reveal itself in time.

"What did you do Mother's Day?  I went to the beach, over to those people's place.  Bud rented a car, a convertible, & last night we rode around & had a very good time."

The Navy is reviewing Grandma and Great-Grandma's application to see if Great-Grandma is eligible to receive an allotment from the Navy.  As an explanation: Great-Grandma is now dependent upon Grandma.  

"I had to put down on my application for your allotment that you had some income ... You will be getting your application soon."

Grandma and the Navy are both coming to Great-Grandma's aid as the Navy is taking a portion of the allotment out of Grandma's paycheck.  

The next page is filled with talk of Grandma's new watch.  What the band looks like, how she could not have it engraved, and she even draws the diameter of the watch to show her Mother.  I wondered why she was going to in such detail when she reminded me of some information:

"I wish I could have had it engraved, but I tell everyone that Daddy gave it to me, so they all know.  I only wish he could have seen it."

This watch was the last gift from her Father.  Great-Grandma and Great-Grandpa sent her the money to purchase a new watch and he passed before she could show it off to him.  I know the watch brings comfort to Grandma in her grief.  However, I think Bud Robinson is the better cure for too much grief.

No comments:

Post a Comment