Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Monday, April 10, 1944

In her previous letter, Grandma mentions she having her picture taken and she is being interviewed for the Missoulian by the PR department.  Her interview and photo should be in the local newspaper at anytime.

I guess they will have my picture in the Missoulian any day now.  They sent them a picture of me and so you be watching for it.  I know that you will be thrilled to death."

Grandma spent the Easter weekend rather quietly.  She is still exhausted by her efforts with the Court of Inquiry.

"They called Commander Graham Saturday and wanted me to report another one.  He wouldn't release me though because while I was away we got too far behind on the work here and with Mildred leaving there are a lot of things that I have to learn.  I would like to do that kind of work but it is too hard on me.  I would like a nice long rest before I would ever have to start on another one."

Court reporting sounds draining according to Grandma.  She says that she worked night and day, nearly 15 hour days.  I loved my Grandmother very much, but she did have the tendency to exaggerate.  Although, I did inherit her "I'm tired and don't care what you think about what I'm saying" trait.  It's a trait that shares my experience with honesty amongst the world so, I'm incredibly fond of it.  If she says she's worn out, she's not exaggerating as much as usual.

The Shannon family sure does make it's presence known.  Grandma runs into her cousin Don Shannon in Miami.  He was stationed in Orlando prior to shipping out and came to Miami for a visit.

"Guess who was here.  None other than Don Shannon.  I was walking down the street with Beverly and I saw this soldier and I thought to myself that I knew him and just about that point I said Don and he said Betty and he grabbed me and kissed me. (I didn't go for that too much) Poor Beverly didn't know what to think of me kissing strange me(n) but we explained to her that we were cousins.  He is a Master Sergeant but I still outrate him.  He was equal to me when I was 2nd Class.  He went out with Beverly and his flight officer was with him and I went out with him. ... They came down to Miami just to see me and have some fun.  When I saw him coming down the street he was on his way over ot the barracks."

I appreciate the fact that my Grandma is not a kissing kind of cousin.  Although, Beverly's eagerness to go out with him after the episode does shed some light on the whole 1940s dating scene.  You go on a date with someone to be courteous.  Dates are just dates in the WII world.  Oh, you're my roommates cousin?  Well, of course I'll go out with you!  You never knew if the military man was going to come back form the front, or if he would even write you.  It's an act of kindness extended to a man who is fighting for your country.  Just as long as he doesn't get too fresh.

No comments:

Post a Comment