Sunday, February 23, 2014

Friday, May 12, 1944

It's my Great-Grandmother's first Mother's day without my Great-Grandfather.  I know that a husband's contribution on Mother's day is not as noticeable as their children's, but I'm certain that he was missed.  Grandma celebrates her mother as best as she can to make up for the distance and their loss.

"By the time you get this letter you will have received the flowers I sent you for Mother's Day.  I didn't have enough money to get you a real nice gift so I thought for the money I could spare the flowers would look the nicest.  I do hope you like them and are not disappointed with them.  Anyway, I know that you understand that still think you are the best Mother in the world anyhow.  Aren't you thrilled?"

This Mother's Day is also particularly harrowing for Grandma's roommate Beverly.  This is the first Mother's Day that Bev is without her mother.  Grandma is having a time of it but still feels compassion for Beverly's situation.

"I don't like to talk too much to Bev about it because she is still broken ip about her Mother's passing and it is hard for her to listen to my troubles.  This is her first Mother's Day without her but she is sending flowers for her grave.  I think Bev sent you a card, didn't she?"

I don't understand why Grandma doesn't reach out to Beverly because then she would have someone to relate to.  On can always find comfort in the shared misery of another human being.

Great Aunt Peggy sent letters from relative who reached out to the sisters.  They're a bittersweet gift for Grandma, as I can imagine they would be.

"I also got a letter from Peggy in which she enclosed a letter from Grandma, Aunt Elsie, Beverly Smith, and I guess that was all.  It made me feel so badly to read them.  It seems that it just brings Daddy's going back to me double fold.  But I still like to read them and see how much everyone thought of him.  I guess I was very lucky to have such a swell Dad for as long as I did, but somehow I never thought he would go."

No remember these letters were in my Great-Grandmother's possession.  She was so worried about my Grandma that she wrote in the margin:

"Maybe we better not send her any more letters."

This makes me shake my head at the 1944 version of my Great-Grandmother.  Life doesn't work that way.  

Although the letters are painful, it is always uplifting to discover that people held your relative in as high esteem as you did.  It makes a world of difference when you are grieving.  It helps you focus on the good times, and rejoice in them.  You have to move forward, but you always carry those memories close to your heart.

Great-Grandpa Shannon
On this day in WWII history

No comments:

Post a Comment