Monday, February 3, 2014

Friday, February 25, 1944 and a short recap

Well, February marks the half way point in the calendar year that I gave myself to read and understand all of these wonderful letters.  Me being me, I was really passionate about maintaining this blog and then my passion wained.  So, this is where we stand at the half way mark.  I have 72 letters to read, research, and digest in 6 months.  There will be three letters a week from here on out and two letters a week on bad weeks.  I need to regroup and remember I am not doing this for myself, but for my Grandma.  There are less than ten books about the WAVES contributions to WWII on Amazon, and one of those was a picture book!  My Grandma and the women who made the choice to be there in our country's greatest hour of need deserve to be heard.  I do this for them and in her memory.  I am proud and honored to call her my Grandmother.

In that vein, let's hear what Grandma has to say.

Great Aunt Peggy and their friend Marilyn are coming to stay the summer in Miami.  Miami is intense compared to Missoula.  I know Grandma will enjoy showing Miami off and taking them to all the happening places.

"I got a letter from Peggy and she had heard from Marilyn.  She sent the letter on to me.  Marilyn was sick in bed at the time she wrote the letter.  She said that she is going to come down here with Peggy this summer.  I think that will be good because I don't know whether I could live out of the Barracks and it would make the rent a lot less for Peg to have someone with her."

Grandma studies day and night for her First Class examinations.  She's pretty serious for a 22 year old.  Granted, she also went out and saw Eric Blore.  

"I went dancing to the Flagler Gardens last night with a sailor that I met when I first came down here.  He had a buddy so Beverly went with him.  We had a fairly nice time.  That is about all that I have done this week.  I am still studying and stick to it quite steadily.  Last night when Bev and I were over to the Old Castle eating Eric Blore the movie actor was in there.  I got a good look at him and was so pleased that I got to see him.  He takes parts of a butler in movies, he is a comedian."

As Grandma mentioned, Eric Blore was known for playing Butlers, waiters, and other service industry types.  He was a staple in the Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers musicals.  In my adolescent world, he was most famous for voicing Mr. Toad in Disney's Wind in the Willows.  His death caused a media stir when the New Yorker prematurely announced his death.  When Blore's lawyer caused a ruckus the New Yorker agreed to print a retraction.  However, the night before the retraction was due, Eric Blore passed away.  So, the New Yorker printed a retraction for the correct information that day after Blore's death.

Happy Anniversary to Grandma Robinson!  On February 23, 1944, Grandma had her one year anniversary with the Navy.

"I have been on active duty in the Navy for a year now.  Really the 23rd of Feb.  Altho, I was sworn in on the 20th of Jan.  My this year has certainly flown.  You know, the saying about your teeth being far apart means you will be far away from home someday, well that is the truth with me isn't it?"

She's come a long way in year for a 22 year old from Missoula, Montana.  She doesn't realize it, and I don't think she ever did, but she changed the world by joining the WAVES.  Grandma changed the way the Navy viewed women, and hence changed America's view.  I wouldn't have all of these privileges afforded to me without her or my Mom.  Thank you for changing the world for me.  

I'll close by following the orders my Grandma Robinson set out for her parents.

"Be sure to write often and don't overdo yourselves."

Photo of Eric Blore with Special thanks to Deeper Into Movies
On this day in WWII history

No comments:

Post a Comment