Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Thursday, March 23, 1944

Grandma spent 2 weeks taking dictation for the Naval Court of Inquiry.  She's been working 15 hour days and i snow up to 180 words per minute.  To put that in some perspective, the average WPM for a typist in word processing is 70 words per minute.  Or she is being sarcastic, either one.

"When you are a permanent court reporter you have help and the work isn't too hard on you.  I think I have got my speed up to about 180 words a minute.  Of course, if they get going too fast for you you can stop them and I had to do that a number of times.  They were going to get someone to relieve me and they called two yeomen in to take dictation with me and they couldn't even get it so they had to keep me on -- that is why I have been so swamped."

The Court of Inquiry is the Military court that investigates internal affairs.  She does mention that she would like to that kind of work year round, but she is definitely ready to go back to her regular position.

"It is all over now so I can go back to my loafing."

While Grandma's been taking dictation, Beverly passed her first class examinations and they both hold the First Class ranking.

"I am glad that you are so proud of me for getting first class.  Beverly made first class the other day and she is quite proud of herself.  We both go down the street thinking we are pretty smart."

Her nose totally popped into the air when she wrote that sentence.  She most likely laughed at herself shortly thereafter.

WWII bred a sense of camaraderie amongst American citizens that has not been repeated since.  Everyone did their part.  They dealt with enlisting, planted a victory garden, and handled the rations.  Americans were told to contribute to the war effort and they did so with great aplomb. People were apt to contribute to another person's well being and life.  Apparently, Grandma owed money to Great Aunt Peg. She had the money all ready to go but then one of her friends needed help.  Grandma lent her the money without hesitation.

"I had the money to send to her the other day but a girl that I know well, the lives in Kansas City got a telegram that her mother was dying and she had to have money quick to go home.  She flew and it cost $100 one way.  I lent her the money I was going to send Peggy.  She is going to bring the money back that she owes me so I will send it to Peggy then."

That generation is so willing to give of their time and of themselves whole heartedly.  Both sets of my grandparents were generous with what they had to give.  They were part of their communities, and they were enriched by those communities in turn.  People barely know their neighbors nowadays.  I want that kind of community again.  You just have to give a little bit of yourself to receive a far greater gift. A support system that is a hundred people strong and willing to help in anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment