Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Thursday, May 4, 1944

Great Grandpa Shannon passed away when Grandma was 22 years old.  He never met my Grandfather or his Grandchildren.  It must have killed Grandma being so far away and feeling so helpless.  Grandma takes charge of the situation from afar and is trying claim my Great-Grandmother as a dependent so that she might receive aid from the military.  Grandma is helping her mother focus and realize that life does go on after death.

"You sent me the statement of how much Daddy's income was but what I want is how much you got.  I have to know that in order to put my application in.  I know that you really didn't get any money but you can make an estimate of how much you live don.  Send it to me at once so I can get your allotment started to you."

These are the things you focus on after a major death in the family.  Try to get them to function in a new routine, because once you have a new routine you can start to put your life back together.  You must remind them that life goes on even if it breaks your heart.

"I was so glad to notice that your writing isn't as shaky as it was.  It makes me feel a lot better because I know that you are better."

I believe that's how Shannon/Robinson women handle grief.  We get everything organized and handled.  Then once everything and everyone is settled we find a quiet room, shut the door, fill it with our grief, and leave it there.

In an effort to distract my Great-Grandmother, Grandma walks her through everyday life.  She mentions her old roommate Marvel visiting her mother, and trying to find a church home in Miami.

"Did Marvel come over and what did you think of her?  I got a card form her and she told me she was on her way home and was going to go over and see you."

and

"Did you go to the Church supper.  I am going to start going to church this coming Sunday.  Dotty Thomas and I are both Protestant and so we are going to start going to some church.  We haven't decided which one yet."

Grandma continues with her everyday happenings to try and take her mother's mind off things.  I hope she succeeds.  Grandma closes rather quickly because she starts her new position in the morning as the head of the office.  I am so excited for her!  Good luck Grandma!


No comments:

Post a Comment