Thursday, February 6, 2014

Monday, February 28, 1944

CONGRATULATIONS GRANDMA ROBINSON! On Monday, February 28, 1944 , Grandma Robinson passed her First Class examinations with perfect scores!

"I took my final test today for 1st class & my staying home nights to study was rewarded by my passing with 4.0, which in the Navy is perfect.  I go up to first class the 1st of March.  It certainly is a big load off my mind."

She took a study break the weekend before and spent the day at the beach.  Grandma got sunburnt but she's sure her skin will now be tough enough for future beach expeditions.

I got sunburned again this weekend.  It's quite sore but not as bad as last week.  You'd think I'd tan instead of burn.  I think now my skin will be tough."

During WWII people didn't worry about those pesky sunburns.  You wanted to burn so then your skin would tan and your greatest hope was to make your skin tough.  As a natural redhead, these statements make my skin crawl.  The Sun Tan lotion from my childhood felt like zinc laced oil, and I NEVER wanted to wear it.  There are at least a dozen photos of me at the beach wearing long pants and shirts with a bog floppy hat protecting my freckles from the scorching sun.  Grandma wanted her cowboy skin and all I ever wanted to do was go back inside into the AC.  Now I have a canopy chair, but someone needs to come up with a canopy inner tube so I can stay in the water as long as I want.  It was my idea internet, LEAVE IT ALONE!

And now back to Grandma:

The Woodworths, the Lieutenant and his wife who are also stationed in Miami and who are also from Missoula are hosting an "Everybody's from Montana" party!

"The Lt. Woodworth called me & want(s) me to go out with them next Saturday night.  They have an extra man who also from Missoula & a couple from Msla by the name of Beebe.  We will have a Montana get together I guess."

Grandma sure does throw some shade when she wants to.  Although that wasn't a very snarky line, I just hear how she would say it in my head, and know my Grandfather would have raised an eyebrow.  

P.S. I am the only family member who can raise their one eyebrow.  Molly FTW!


Beach Betty

On this day in WWII history

No comments:

Post a Comment