Monday, March 24, 2014

Thursday, June 8, 1944

Time marches forward as Grandma prepares for Great Aunt Peggy's arrival.  Great-Grandma keeps her updated on Peggy's comings and goings.  Grandma used to grill me before I left to go out with friends.  Where you going?  What are you going to get up to?  How long are you going to be gone?  I couldn't even drive, and she was trying to anticipate my every move.  I didn't even drink until I wen to college!  Now I see why she was so nosy.  She remembers what she was like at my age.  She'd already done everything and wanted to make sure I didn't do anything!

"I have to laugh about Peg going out all the time.  I am glad that you are, Peg, cause it does help to make you feel better and I know that Daddy wouldn't have minded.  He always liked to see us  have a good time, even though he used to get mad at me for the hours I liked to keep.  He would be glad to know that I now have to be in so darned early."

I know Grandma was whistling through her teeth when I left for college.  She sat up there working around her chair, trying to find a less judgmental spot.  She probably hit a few high notes there as well.  Grandma made those Chicago winters colder so that I wouldn't leave the house.  We'll see how well they comport themselves when Great Aunt Peggy gets to Miami!

"Don't wear yourself out with all the running around, Peggy.  I want you to look good when you come down here."

Grandma and Great Aunt Peggy will inspire some mischief but Grandpa will tag along for the ride.  He'll also make sure they don't fall off the ride.  In honor of D-Day Grandpa took Grandma to dinner and dancing, and took her out the next night just because.  

"I haven't been doing too much.  Tuesday night being "D" day, Bug, Andy and I went out dancing and had quite a nice time.  Last night Bud took me out to dinner and to the show over on the beach."

I wonder what Great Aunt Peggy will think of Grandma's new beaux Bud?!


No comments:

Post a Comment