Friday, March 7, 2014

Tuesday, May 23, 1944

I have the same dream after every loved one's funeral.  The dream sens a message of peaceful rest and happiness in their life to come.  Now, these dreams might be my subconscious fulfilling a psychological need, but I know they are messages from my loved ones.  Dreams can heal us or haunt us.  Great-Grandpa Shannon passed suddenly and Grandma still doesn't sleep well.  She finds peace in her work during the day, but her sleep is filled with nightmares.

"You dream a lot of Daddy, well so do I.  Twice now I have dreamed of him in his casket & that he comes alive.  The first time I dreamed that, I dreamed they jarred the casket & he sat up & wanted to know what was going on.  Last nite I dreamed we were at the funeral & it came time to close the casket & he rolled over.  We wouldn't let them close it and & Daddy talked to us, but he was dead & didn't know it & we didn't want to tell him.  They are such awful dreams & I feel so badly when I wake up.  I'm glad I can still see him clearly.  I am afraid I'll never reconcile myself to his going."

The sudden passing of a parent is earth shattering.  Whenever either of my parents go, I will be changed forever.  Death always changes people whether it is expected or unexpected.  It's what you do with your life after the death that shows the world how you have changed.  Sometimes it's just not for the good.

2 comments:

  1. My dreams after loved ones die are always peaceful as well, I wonder why some people have haunting dreams instead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the nature of the passing and the relation that people had with them. Grandma Robinson's death was sudden to me, but because she was my Grandmother and not my Mother my dreams dreams were peaceful. I believe Grandma has some lingering guilt that she wasn't there at the end and it's manifesting her dreams.

    ReplyDelete