Thursday, March 13, 2014

Sunday, May 28, 1944

No offense to my brother, but I always wanted a big sister.  Not instead of him, but in addition to him.  I appreciate the things that only a brother can teach you: how to burp, how to mouth off, and most importantly which men a woman could trust.  You know how there's that old adage that women and men always find someone like their opposite gendered parent?  Not only did I end up with somebody like my Dad, but my boyfriend also shares some traits with my brother.  There are times my boyfriend will say something to me, and I will often respond, "Did you talk to Andrew today?"  I appreciate the relationship my brother and I have, but like most humans, I yearned for something I didn't have, a sister.  Now that's not to say Andrew didn't search for his own band of brothers either.  Before I was born, he would put aside his old clothes and say he was saving them for his little brother.  So, we both got what we needed: Andrew from his childhood friends, and I from my friends and Sister-In-Law.  Which my Sister-In-Law has survived our family for almost 10 years!  That woman deserves a medal.

BUT TO BRING THIS BLOG BACK AROUND TO GRANDMA:

Grandma's sister, Great Aunt Peggy is coming to Miami for the summer.  She became the principal of her school, and she still gets the summer off.  So, she's coming to stay with Grandma.

"I suppose Peggy is there by now.  I got your card, Peg, but since then I haven't heard from you.  I hope you had a nice time in Cody.  What is this about you getting to be principal?  I am very interested in hearing that.   I am getting quite anxious for Peggy to get down here.  I have it figured out that you will be down here in about 3 1/2 weeks.  You should get here by the 21st of June.  I think it would be nice to be here for your birthday.   Why don't you come straight down here and make you(r) stops on the way home.  I suppose that I had better start looking for a place for you.  I am hoping to be able to live with you while you are here."

Their relationship showed me what having a sister truly meant.  They complemented each other and my Grandmother often knew when it was Great Aunt Peggy ringing on the other end.  They would get into arguments and be laughing together five seconds after those arguments ended.  That's what always struck me.  They shared the same laugh.  Grandma's was tinted with smoke, but their laughs shared the same timbre and soul.

Sisters
On this day in WWII history

No comments:

Post a Comment