Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Tuesday, June 6, 1944

Snarkiness runs in the family.  These are the first documented evidence that it is a family trait.  Grandma was my first clue, but our snark blooms with age.

"I am sos sorry for not writing sooner.  I have been terribly busy and just didn't seem to get the time to write.  I know that you miss my wonderful letters so much. Ahem!  I got both of your letters and I believe that was the last time I heard from you.  So Peggy, you think you are smart being dated so much?  I don't believe that I know this Sergeant.  Am I supposed to?"

Great Aunt Peggy will have plenty of time to enjoy that Genetic Snark when she she gets to Miami soon.  I cannot wait to read the reports of her visit.  They probably wrote about the pair of them in the newspapers.

Their fair faces did not grace the front page on Tuesday, June 6, 1944 however.  The newspapers were too concerned with D-Day to report on their fabulousness.  Grandma is apparently not impressed.

"Well the invasion has started at last.  This town is really excited about it.  It is just about all you hear and they have a lot of extras out and whatnot."

Somehow she cannot muster the proper enthusiasm for D-Day, but she can learn to fly for the forrest service parachute fire fighters at Missoula, Montana.

"In the news reel the other night they showed pictures of the forrest service parachute fire fighters at Missoula, Montana.  I about went through the roof."

Grandma is incredibly nonchalant about the D-Day invasion.  I initially did not understand it but, I quickly checked myself.  I had to realize that information and media did not reach people instantaneously back then as it does now.  Citizens and Military personnel on American shores did not understand the magnitude of the D-Day invasion.  They did once the information and media became available to them. 

General Dwight D Eisenhower well understood what this invasion meant for WWII and how it would affect human history.  He expresses his sentiments in his message to the troops.  The triumphs and horrors of this invasion were not evident to the people safe on American shores.  It changed the course of WWII and it changed the face of human history forever.



No comments:

Post a Comment