Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Thursday, January 20, 1944

It's a major triumph when you can mail cake across the United States during World War II.  However you do have to go pick it up at the Railroad Express Agency.  Especially if you put the address as just the US Naval Barracks.

"I got a card from the Railroad Express Agency to come down and pick up a package.  It says that it is cake.  I think form now on you had better put my address as Robert Clay Hotel, U.S. Naval Barracks, Room 915, Miami (4), Fla.  I will be sure to the mail right away then.  Just putting U.S. Naval Barracks the mail goes all over the country first and then I finally get it."

In between her letters, Grandma became quite the joiner.  Well she has altruistic reasons but hey at least she's making new friend and getting some exercise like she wants to.  

"I got a letter from Helen Shepard Hinton with the snap of Peggy and me.  I look as fat as I am in that picture and it makes me mad.  I guess I will have to go on a diet.  I am playing basketball on the WAVES' team now so I think I might lose some weight.  I need more exercise.  I am going to join the bowling team too."

Remember Grandma's old roommate Marvel?  Well her boyfriend, Tris Coffin asked her to marry him and she said yes!  

"- he told me that he had a ring for Marvel but he was afraid she wouldn't take it because she doesn't believe in long engagements but evidently she took it."

I wonder what Marvel considers a long engagement?

One of Grandma's new roommates continually tries to convert her to the Christian Science faith.  The best part about this whole scenario is that her roommate's name is Pirtle.  All I want to do now is find a turtle and name it Pirtle.  So I could run around yelling, "Pirtle the TURTLE!"

"My roommate, Pirtle, tried to talk me into going to church with her last night.  I think she thinks she can convert me to the Christian Science religion.  She is always giving me pamphlets to read.  Beverly and I are going to try to get a room together."

Grandma says this move is going to be pretty tough as Miami is filling up with tourists and new WAVES.  I'm going to cross my fingers for her and hope it all works out.

Happy Thanksgiving Eve to all of my American readers and happy Wednesday to my International readers.  I hope you takes the time tomorrow and everyday to let the people in your life know just how thankful you are for them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment