Monday, November 25, 2013

Monday, January 17, 1944

The Navy messed up Grandma's mail.  Technically one of the girls who works in the barracks messed up Grandma's mail.

"One of the girls that works at the barracks thought because I was gone so long that I had been transferred to Northampton and s she sent all of my mail up there.  It was pretty dumb of her so I don't know what is going to happen about my mail.  They might send it back to sender."

Think about how much of a hassle it would be to get that figured out in the present day.  Then subtract the internet, reliable phone service, and add an international war.  It will probably take months for everything to be corrected.

Great-Grandma Shannon apparently chewed Grandma out for not contacting sooner when she arrived back in Miami.  

"I think that I explained to you in that one letter why I didn't write.  I am ashamed of myself but I was so tired then that I didn't care if I ever moved again.  I didn't call the relatives in St. Paul cause we got in there after 12 (the train was late) and besides the train only stops for 15 minutes and you have to go too far to the telephones."

Remarkably, this exchange perpetuates through out generations.  The Mother admonishes the Daughter for not fulfilling her daughterly duties and the Daughter promptly takes a defensive stance but apologizes.  Shannon women are geniuses when it comes to defensive apologizing.

Despite enjoying her new life and freedom in Miami, Grandma does not want to make it her home.  

"I'm not homesick but I still like Montana and wish I were there again.  The next time I come home I hope it will be a one-way ticket."

Pride fills my heart when I discover that Grandma is studying for her 1st Class exam.  Although she did not progress to Officer's training, she still wants to achieve.  She takes pride in her position and does it to the best of her abilities.  

"I plan on trying to get my 1st class rating by the 1st of March.  I understand that we have to wait 5 mos. instead of 4 1/2 so that will be the 1st of March for me.  I don't mind because that gives me two more weeks to study."

In closing, on this week of Thanksgiving I am grateful for many things in my life.  I know I have not been the most prodigious of bloggers, but I do want to play catch up this week.  I publish this statement to hold myself accountable: I am writing 4 blog posts this week in honor of the people I am most grateful for.  Happy Early Thanksgiving and let's do this!


No comments:

Post a Comment