Thursday, November 14, 2013

Monday, January 10, 1944

Happy New Year to Grandma in 1944!  She is back in Miami and is awfully busy.  She hasn't had enough time to send a wire to her Mom and Dad that she is back safely in Miami.

"I'm sorry for not sending you the wire but I was pretty tires when I got in so I went right to bed & slept.  I had a nice trip back but I hated to get here but now I don't mind too much cause I'm busy & I don't think of getting homesick or anything.  I am going to send a wire tonight so you won't worry."

Grandma is going to meet her friend Beverly at the train depot because she gets back into town this evening.  I'm thankful that Grandma has Beverly to spend her time with.  Grandma doesn't get homesick when she's busy at work and is enjoying the Miami nightlife.  

Chicago provides a hub for travel between the two coasts.  Grandma had a layover in Chicago both to and from Missoula.  I miss Chicago at times when I wouldn't have to wear a winter coat.  Of course I miss my friends there and the hustle and bustle of the city.  Grandma on the other hand treasured her last snow frost dusting her coat.  

"They had a snowstorm when I was in Chicago and I enjoyed getting out & walking in the snow for the last time for a good time to come."

Grandma fills her homesickness  with work and covers in a wistful cloak in her letters.

"I had a wonderful time while I was home & I'm looking forward to being there for good before too long I hope.  I'll write more later this week."

Homesickness is affecting Grandma's letters.  They get shorter and are hurried.  It looks like they pick up when she meets my Grandfather.  I know I can't skip ahead to the end, but I want to discover their courtship and what their relationship was like.  Their romance is a mystery to me and Grandma's reaction to falling in love is going to be a hoot!




No comments:

Post a Comment