Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Monday, November, 29, 1943

Roy is giving Grandma a Christmas present.  Her old beaux who marries her best friend is giving her a Christmas present!  She also lets the detail slip that she sent him a miniature of herself.

"You said that Roy is going to give me a Xmas present.  I sent him a miniature picture of myself and I didn't send a Xmas present in time and so now I can't.  I feel guilty but I guess it is too late now.  I will write to him and tell him to ask me to send him a package and then I can send it.  I won't let him know he is giving me anything."

What were dating politics like back then?  Grandma goes on a slew of dates with lots of suitors, but she send a picture of herself to her old boyfriend who ends up marrying her best friend?  How odd.  Is that how it was in the 40s or is it still like that today?  I mean my dating history includes several excruciating date in college, an internet boyfriend in high school (don't ask), and my current boyfriend of five years.  My philosophy was and still is I didn't want to waste my time on dating losers who made me feel worthless.  Maybe the 40s approach to dating was different?  My other set of Grandparents met, dated, and married in the same year.  Did you date a whole bunch of people, find one who didn't bug ya too much, and get married?  Anyone with insight please comment below.

Grandma didn't get much of a Thanksgiving, but she is ready to travel home for Christmas.

"On my way home I will stop in Forsyth to meet Peggy so I will get home the same day she is supposed to.  I guess that is about the 23rd isn't it?  I am not too sure yet whether my leave is approved but I think it is and I think that I will be home with bells on."

Christmas is always a big deal in my family.  I hope Grandma receives her full leave.  I think her Commanding Officer is sweet on her.  She'll get her full request.  Grandma is making os many plans to people on her way home and to pick up her sister on the way through Forsyth.  She is thrilled and all I can think of is that Norman Rockwell Poster "Homecoming G.I.".  The pure joy of the Family hits me in the gut and spring t my eyes.  I know that's how Grandma's return to good old Missoula, MT was.  That's how every Christmas should be.  Lots of lights, noise, and open arms welcoming you home.

Norman Rockwell, Saturday Evening Post Cover, May 26, 1945
On this day in WWII history

No comments:

Post a Comment