Friday, May 2, 2014

Thursday, June 29, 1944

Great Aunt Peg is one her way! She did not follow the rules and get her ticket for the City of Miami but the South Wind instead.  Grandma is disappointed in that, but she is ecstatic that Great Aunt Peggy is finally coming down for a visit.

"I got Peggy's Telegram last night that she is one her way and I am so excited.  I will go out over the weekend and get us an apartment -- I hope.  I think I shall be able to find one.  I have so many things planned that we can do.  She told me to send the telegram to Forsyth, which, I did, isn't she going to stop and see Grandma?  I was also very glad to hear that she is going to take the train and not the bus.  I was disappointed to hear she is coming on the Southwind and not the City of Miami, but I guess she was lucky to get on the Southwind.  I hpe that she will be able to get around in Chicago ok without getting lost.  I guess if I could do it, she can."

I'm glad her faith in Great Aunt Peggy is restored.  This letter also gives me the most significant evidence that I am my truly my Grandmother's Granddaughter.

"I AM TYPING THIS IN ALL CAPITALS JUST FOR THE DICKENS OF IT.  I CAN GET ENJOYMENT OUT OF THE DARNEDEST THINGS.  OH, WELL, IT DOESN'T TAKE MUCH TO AMUSE ME."

I have been known to giggle at socks before.  Life is too short; find amusement where you can.

Today is Beverly's Birthday, and Grandma went in with some other girls to buy her a nice overnight bag.  Unfortunately, Grandma has her watch assignment this evening and cannot go out with them to celebrate.  She was able to go out with Grandpa and their friend Andy a lot this week.

"Monday night Bud and I went out to a place called the Teepee.  We had a nice dinner and then we danced.  Tuesday night I went to the movie with Bud and Andy and then we got something to eat and went home.  Last night we went out dancing again and had a lot of fun.  Tonight I have the watch over to the barracks and can't go out, so I will wash clothes and iron. I want everything done when Peg gets here."

Maybe Mom knows who this Andy guy is because they've gone out with him several times.  Perhaps he's the reason Mom wanted to call my Brother, Andrew, Andy.

No comments:

Post a Comment