Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Monday, June 26, 1944

Grandma know what's best for everyone, and heaven help you if you step out of line.  Not only does she have an entire paragraph for my Great Aunt Peggy, but she also reserved the postscript for her.

"Please let me know when to expect you.  After all, I think you owe me that much.  I have a lot to do to get ready for you and then you don't let me know what yo do. That makes me good and mad and I think I shall bawl you out when you get down here -- if ever."

"Remember Peg, I am your sister & I think I should come first in your plans, rather than everyone else & me last. B.S."

It does not help Grandma's cause that her initials are B.S.  

Most of my gumption, if not all, came from Grandma Robinson.  I've known how to speak my mind even before I knew how to talk.  Despite all of the positives of speaking one's mind, snottiness has a tendency to sneak in.  Eventually, you learn how to control it, and wield it only to make a point.  Grandma feels however that Great Aunt Peggy is deserving of such treatment because she will not follow Grandma's plans.  Did I also mention that this is the BIRTHDAY letter Grandma sends to Great Aunt Peg?

Thankfully Grandpa finds her willingness to voice her opinions charming.  I know they got into arguments, but what healthy couple doesn't argue from time to time?  Grandma and Grandpa found the people that they could each put up with each other's crap.  When you find that one person, hold onto them for dear life.

"Bud is taking me out to dinner and dancing tonight.  We heaven't been doing much of that lately, so I have a new white suit and am going to dress up in that and we are going to have a real nice evening.  He is really wonderful to me and we have such a good time.  He isn't a very good looking boy but he is a good boy and I know you would like him a lot.  He puts himself out to do anything I want to do.  He doesn't have any bad habits either.  He doesn't smoke at all, and he has real nice hands."

Grandma held onto those hands until the day Grandpa died.  She knew she found a gem, her gem.  A person who is patient and kind.  The type of person all us loud mouthed women need.  They complemented each other, and made all the sense in the world.



No comments:

Post a Comment