Monday, April 14, 2014

Tuesday, June 20, 1944 - Wednesday, June 21, 1944

Grandma's lecture for Great Aunt Peggy couldn't just take up THREE letters oh no.  Grandma had to stop half way through the third letter and carry it through to the next day!

"I don't see why you have to stay for the wedding.  After all,Peg, the summer will be over before you know it and then you more than likely never got here.  If I were you I would take the train from Chicago on down here."

The lecture starts on one day and then starts on another and continues for about half a page.  She reiterates her arguments from the earlier letters and tells Great Aunt Peggy to take the City of Miami train again.  The City of Miami train was a seven-car coach streamliner inaugurated by Illinois Central Railroad on December 18, 1940.  Its route was from Chicago to Miami, a total distance of 1,493 miles.  Apparently, Grandma absolutely adored her trip on it.  I believe Mom mentioned that Grandma and Grandpa met on the City of Miami train.  Maybe that's why she's so gung ho about Great Aunt Peggy riding on it.  Maybe she thinks it will give Great Aunt Peggy the same luck with men. 

 Speaking of Grandpa Robinson, this is the first letter where he's given more than a cursory sentence.  I adore the detail that Grandma gives about him because those are the same details I would notice about a man.  I probably would not want to reject him outright for the potential of lost hair, but it makes me giggle.

"I am going to lunch with Bud today.  It is just about time to go.  I haven't had another date with anyone but Bud since I have been back. He is a nice boy and I like him quite a lot, but I don't think it is the real thing, cause he is going to lose his hair someday, and I have to think that over.  He has real nice hands though.  We took some pictures at the beach Sunday, so I am sending them on to you.  They didn't all turn out but the ones that did aren't good either.  I thought you would like to see them though."

She's questioning their entire relationship over whether he will lose his hair or not! HAH!

Bud and Betty at the Beach

On April 14, 1994
 

No comments:

Post a Comment