Monday, May 12, 2014

Saturday, July 1, 1944

In preparation for Great Aunt Peggy's visit, Grandma found an adorable apartment on Miami Beach.  It doesn't have a kitchen, but it's cheap as they come and utilities are included.

"I got us a nice place over on Miami Beach. ... It is just one room with a bath and a great big closet.  It has two studio beds, they are real soft and they have covers that go over them in the daytime so they look like studio couches.  I couldn't get a pace to cook in but we can go to the corner drugstore and it is very reasonable there with good food.  The reason I took this place is that it has beach facilities.  She can go over to this private beach and since she is a tenant of the Norgate she can go there for free.  It is a lovely beach and I know quite a few people around there so she won't be lonesome during the day while I am at work.  I am so excited now I can hardly wait.  Also, the jitney goes right in front of our door.  We will live like queens.  It costs $60 a month, but we are saving in the long run because we won't have to pay $1.10 every time we go to the beach, so you can see it is just as cheap in the long run and we won't have to pay electricity and all that stuff.  That is very cheap for Miami for such a nice place."

Ok,  let's talk about lack of kitchen thing.  Oh it's ok, we'll eat at the corner drugstore?! My guess is when she says it's good and inexpensive she means it.  I can tell you though, you save a lot of money from staying in and cooking at home.  Who has two thumbs, didn't buy groceries for 3 months, and blew over $1000 on restaurants?  This kid.  That junk ain't cheap.  However, it was very tasty.  

I love how the not having to pay the beach entry fees balances out the having to buy food for every meal thing.  Well, either way I know that they will have a glorious summer.

Grandma and Grandpa at Grandma and Great Aunt Peggy's Apartment


3 comments:

  1. I love this letter! Believe it or not, she probably did save money eating at the corner drugstore, or at least come out even. I'm not old enough to remember 1944, but I do remember 1960. Around here, the average price for a hamburger was twentyfive cents. We used to go to a mom&pop place where you could get them seven for a dollar. Honest! And cokes were either 5 or 10 cents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeesey Creesey! I remember watching Back to the Future when they go back to 1955 and coffee is 3 cents! Huh whodathunk?

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete