Sunday, August 18, 2013

Thursday, July 22, 1943

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Grandma was finally able to reach her family on the phone.  I know that sounds odd this day in age, but my Grandmother spent 6 hours trying to get a phone call from Miami, FL through to Missoula, Montana.  She tried to call them at 8:30 PM in Miami time, 6:30 PM Missoula time, but the call was not ale to go through.  So, she went out dancing with her date Pete, and tried again when she returned at 12:30 AM.  She fell asleep trying to connect the call and woke up at 2:30 AM.  She spoke to the operator about canceling the call, but the operator was optimistic so she tried one more time.  My Grandmother finally got through after 6 hours of trying!  Can you imagine in this time of great technology falling asleep waiting for a PHONE CALL to connect?!  I think the slowest technological advancement I ever dealt with was dial up internet.  The scary thing is, in several decades that statement is going to show my age.

Back in 1943, my Grandmother discusses the 1 year Anniversary party in more depth.  She's going to be in a dance with 11 other girls and they are going to perform in front of the Admiral.  She must be dreadfully nervous about it because then she starts to complain about all of her responsibilities.  She gets feisty when she's nervous.

I cannot imagine much of a mosquito population up in Montana.  Grandma talks about all of her Miami mosquito bites.  She says she has so many she looks like she has smallpox or something.  Thankfully she doesn't suffer alone.  "All of the girls were that way.  The minute we would get to the hotel and in the elevator we would start scratching and did it ever feel good."  It makes me think of a TV sketch show.  The WAVES start to barely scratch in the elevator and it quickly escalates, but when the elevator doors open to allow other passengers to board and disembark, they stop scratching and strike random poses.  Oh yes, and the scratching is accompanied by a full brass band that gathers other instruments as the scratching escalates.  I think that's how I want to view 1940s Miami.  I want to view it as one giant Military musical.

No comments:

Post a Comment