Friday, August 9, 2013

First Letter

August 9, 2013


After reading the first letter, I realize I am going to ask my Mom who all these people are.  My Grandmother is mentioning people named Billo, Loran, Red, and Eddie.  I have no clue who these people are!  I just want to know who allowed people to call them Billo for so long.  She mentions said Billo isn't going to Forsyth.

According to Mom, when Grandma references Forsyth she's talking about Forsyth, Montana. Since Grandma grew up in Missoula, Montana that sure does make a lot of sense! duhr.  In the 2010 census, the population totaled 1,777 people.  It was the first settlement on the Yellowstone river in 1876 as a steamboat landing for the US Army in the Indian Wars.  Sounds like this joint is hoppin!  No wonder my Grandmother said that my zany Great Aunt Peggy wouldn't be able to handle the "atmosphere" for a whole year.  I'm going to make the mental leap and guess Great Aunt Peggy was dating Ol' Billo over there.

Well, let's skootch right on back to the other side of the country where my Grandmother was stationed in Miami, FL.  I'm guessing growing up in Missoula did not prepare her for Miami's heat.  She said that now her "blood has thinned out" the heat does not make her as tired.  She also talks about getting her weekly visits to the beach and her tan. She's so proud of her tan that she wants to show it off in the middle of winter in Montana.  I must get that from her because it's a miracle if I tan so, I sure as heck show it off when I do.

Grandma Robinson's social life sure wasn't lacking in Miami.  She is asked out and goes on many dates, but lately she's had to turn people because of work.  She hasn't met any special beaux yet.  But she'll find Walter William Robinson soon enough!

2 comments:

  1. I just found your blog 112 letters. Love the way you bring your grandmother to life. I also have many old letters and now someday will find a way to preserve for future families.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, and I hope you keep reading. And I would check out this website about preservation from the Library of Congress: http://www.loc.gov/preservation/

    ReplyDelete