Friday, August 16, 2013

July 19, 1943: 5 days later

August 16, 2013

Grandma tells her friends latest news.  One gal got married on July 4th and another is expecting a baby. Little did my Grandmother know that in 7 years times she would give birth to a baby girl on the 4th of July.  My mother was born the same year as one of her cousins.  He was born on April 1st, and my Great Aunt Peggy and Uncle Sid sent my Grandparents a telegram saying, "It's a boy, no foolin'."  So, when my Mom was born, my Grandfather sent a telegram back stating, "It's a firecracker no wick!" I can hear their smoky chuckles now.

7 years in the past, my Grandmother is pitchin a fit.  She has to march in a parade tomorrow and it is still too hot to march!  AND she's also on the refreshment committee for the WAVES party.  How is she going to march and handle the punch at the WAVES one year anniversary party?! Please someone explain this to her!  However, she begrudgingly agrees to write more about the party.

Then Grandma addresses her Father for the first time in these letters.  I looked to the letter's envelope for clues, but I've realized I have no idea what Grandma and Grandpa Shannon's first names are! No clue whatsoever.  I know his initials are C.W. but that's it.  I know Grandma Shannon loved Wrestling at the Chase, but nope, her name completely escapes me.

Welp, Grandma continues telling my Great-Grandfather all about the military craft surrounding Miami.  She says there are no ocean liners, but plenty of Subchasers, Destroyers, and blimps.  She also says he needs to come down and see it for himself.  "You know I am planning on you coming down here."  It's those little sassy comments my Grandmother made when she tried to mask her deeper emotions.  Cover those up with sass and no one will notice.  Now I know where I get it from.

Oh! I did know one thing about him!  My Grandmother learned to drive a car at the age of 8 because of his health.  In case she had to go and fetch the doctor down the mountain.  Can you imagine what that first car ride would have been like?  Lots of sass and fits.

No comments:

Post a Comment