Friday, August 30, 2013

Monday, August 9, 1943


So, this is what it must be like to grow up with a sister.  No offense Andew (my brother), but I have always heard there is nothing like growing up with a sister.  Grandma communicates volumes in a paragraph and a half to her sister, My Great Aunt Peggy.  I always capitalized her title because I thought it was necessary for such a glamorous lady.  It feels like I am walking into a conversation that was started decades ago.  Grandma asks one specific thing of Aunt Peggy that's driving me bonkers with curiosity.  "Do you think they will be married?"

Grandma mentions Marilyn in the sentence before.  I wonder if she's referencing Marilyn, her best friend back home, and Roy getting married?  Remember Roy was Grandma's beaux, then he went into the army, and flaked on my Grandma?  Then Grandma went into the Navy and ended up marrying my Grandfather.  Then Marilyn started dating, married, had a child with, and subsequently divorced Roy.  So, I wonder if it's their wedding they're talking about.

Now, there is another character that is introduced in these letters.  His name is Russ and upon questioning my Mother, there is one of two explanations for Russ.  He is either a partial owner of the Red and Martha family dairy or Russ and Red are an item.  We are not certain, but it is one of the two.  Mom and I discussed getting the Quija board out and calling up Grandma and Aunt Peg.  I will let you know what they report back.  We'll probably interrupt their weekly card game.

This is the first letter that I felt Grandma Robinson's personality come through.  She loved to laugh and was definitely brassy.  I can hear her smoky giggles bubbling up through her chest now.  Even with everything she went through after the war, she still tried to be my Grandmother.  She wasn't perfect, but she told great stories and enjoyed making others laugh.  I loved watching my Uncle and cousins tease Grandma.  It always filled the house with laughter.  Her laugh really is how I remember her best.

On this day in WWII history



No comments:

Post a Comment