Friday, June 27, 2014

Tuesday, July 18, 1944

Is it true that people who live in warmer climes have thinner blood?  Grandma says that Great Aunt Peggy is so sluggish because her blood hasn't thinned out as much as Grandma's.

"The weather has been rather rainy but it has been so hot it is a relief to have it rain.  We go in the ocean quite a bit, and Peggy loves it.  She isn't too peppy but she still is all right.  I think if her blood would thin out she would be better.  My blood is quite thin now."

My blood never thickened while I lived in Chicago.  It was just so bitterly cold all the time that I learned to conserve heat by not opening my mouth.  Complaining led to major heat loss.  One can spare the heat whining in Atlanta as it rarely gets near freezing.

It ceases to amaze me how I can get so sidetracked by one sentence.  The true meat of this letter is in its main paragraph.  (Oh my gosh, wow, REALLY).  This letter is Grandma's realizations that she wants to be exclusive with Grandpa.  She puts it all on him, but I know from first hand experience that the way she describes his love for her is a reflection of the love she has for him.

"Yesterday I got a call from a Lt. that I used to go with and he asked me to go out with him last nigh.  I said I would go, and I guess I hurt Bud pretty baldy by going.  I told him before I went out and everything.  He, Bud, had the afternoon off yesterday, so he went out to visit Peg and I guess he was so lonesome for me that he about died.  I have a pair of shorts that needed washing and some mending done to them, so Bud fixed them for me while he sat and talked to Peggy.  I get quite a kick out of it.  Today he took me to lunch and brought me a present, it is a thing made out of shells that has perfume inside of it.  It is more for decoration on you(r) dresser or something.  He took me out to one of the best places to eat, too.  I had a nice time last nite but I felt kind of funny going out with Don, because I have only gone out with Bud since I have been back.  He is an awfully nice boy, Mother, he goes to church all the time too.  He goes to the Lutheran Church, and he is going to make me go with him every Sunday.  I have gone with him before and it is a nice church, so I guess it won't kill me to go with him.  Bud was overseas for 28 months and has been in 7 major battles.  He has quite a few things to wear on his chest."

I didn't know to what extent Grandpa's military service was.  I definitely teared up with pride over that last sentence though.

Grandpa at Grandma and Great Aunt Peggy's Apartment
On June 27, 1944

No comments:

Post a Comment