Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Friday, July 14, 1944

For the first time in my life, Great and Aunt Peggy and Grandma disappoint me.  They've been together a week and they haven't gotten into any mischief!  However, I think Grandma is trying to fix Great Aunt Peggy up with her CO.

"Peg came into town yesterday and met me for lunch.  She met Beverly and the kids and I took her over to the barracks.  She didn't get to meet Comdr. because he was out of the office, but she will be in again.  He was awfully disappointed he didn't get to meet her.  I told him I was going to rent a car when she came down here and he said it was too expensive and that we could use his car, he has a lot of gas and so I might, but as yet I don't know.  I thought that was awfully nice of him to offer it though."

After those comments though I take it back.  Grandma's CO might be sweet on her!

Ruth (used to be) Timm's wedding is still a hot topic in Grandma's letters.  Grandma wants all the news she can get.

I am anxious to the paper about Ruth's wedding.  I will write to them and send her a little gift.  I bet she is really happy.  After that Royce deal I a so glad she could find such a nice boy and he sounds os refined and everything.  She sent me a picture of him and he seemed to be nice looking, but I could see Ruth was a little taller than he is."

Her anxiety over the newspaper and her comment about Ruth's Husband height makes me wonder if there's something behind those comments.  Grandma was a master at hiding her true feelings in plain sight.  She is still the reigning queen of the loaded question.  Her implications abound.  It's why we got along so well.  She would imply something and I would cut through the crap.  It worked best when I was little and hadn't perfected my filter.  Grandma thought it was funny.  My forthrightness lost its shine when I hit puberty.

The anxiety and the height comment make immediately think about my Grandfather.  Grandpa towered over Grandma he was at least 6'2".  Grandma was maybe 5'4"?  So, she wants info about a wedding and mentioned that her friend's new husband is shorter than her.  This makes me think that what she is telling my Great-Grandmother is that she is a little jealous of Ruth and her marriage.  That she wants to get married to Grandpa.  I could also be reading waaaaaay too much into this and being crazy.  But as Crazy Eyes says, "I am not crazy, I am unique."

No comments:

Post a Comment