Friday, October 18, 2013

Thursday, November 4, 1943

I struggle with Grandma's circus fascination.  Not only did she go once, but she went TWICE!

"Well, guess what?  I went to the circus twice.  Beverly and I went Tuesday night and then this Ensign that I have been going with and his friend that Bev goes with were in town last night and they wanted to go to the circus so we went again.  It was wonderful and we had a good time.  It isn't exactly the same as when I last saw it but it is just as good."

We did go to the circus as a family, and I think we went to the circus on a school field trip.  But, I just don't get it.  When I was growing up, circuses were heavily criticized for the treatment of their animals.  Animal and environmental rights were burgeoning in the late 80s early 90s.  Destitute animals and their appalling care  were photographed and publicized when I was a kid.  Those images are forever branded in my memory and circuses are tainted.  Also, Water for Elephants didn't help either.

Grandma's Naval Officer's commission was not accepted.  She will not be moving to Northampton, MA. 

My application for commission didn't pass through Washington.  They say that my age is against me.  Evidently they like older girls for officers.  Also, they said that my qualifications were good but that there were others that were better than mine."

Grandma prepared herself for this.  She goes on to talk about coming home for Christmas and that she is happy where she is.  

"At least on my commission though, I passed in the Seventh Naval District and I didn't lose anything by trying."

Grandma also gets to meet and marry my Grandfather.  I am longing to read about him and soak up what personal details I can.  He was here for a short time in my life.  I take every chance I get to discover more about him.

There is one more tidbit that ignites my imagination.  

"I was surprised to hear that Shirley might go over seas.  I will write to her this week."

I have no idea who Shirley is, but not many women were sent over seas.  Obviously if you were a nurse you automatically went over seas, but then my Grandmother wouldn't be surprised.  Does anybody in the great wide blogisphere know of a female Missoula, Montana citizen named Shirley who went overseas during WWII?  C'mon blogisphere: DIG!

Is that you Shirley? Yo! Second from the left!
On this day in WWII history

No comments:

Post a Comment