Friday, October 11, 2013

Friday, October 29, 1943

Montana is calling Grandma's name.  She nearly chased a Montana license plated car down the street because she was so excited.

"I saw a Montana car the other day.  It was from Great Falls.  I about fell over when I saw it.  I just wanted to run down the street and yell at them till they stopped but I didn't do that."

The homesickness is compounded by Grandma's sorrow over her roommate moving up in the ranks while she is still waiting to hear about her acceptance into Officer's training.  

"I have received one letter from Marvel since she has been in school.  She likes it a lot so far.  She has her gold buttons sewed on already.  I surely miss her.  I have Beverly though and she is a wonderful girl.  My new roommate is a lot of fun too so I don't have too much time to sit around and brood."

Homesickness and the loss of her best friend in the WAVES, makes Grandma's heart yearn for Montana.  The only problem is that when and if she returns to Montana, she won't return to her childhood home.  

"I was quite surprised that you really have decided to move. ... It won't seem right to come home and not to go to the house on 5th E. but we are still on the same street.  I am so glad Chief can still live with you. ... Give him a pat on the head for me or better yet, Mother, you put a lot of lipstick on  and kiss him, I know that you would love that!"

Grandma is so homesick that when one of her dancing partners is from a town in Minnesota, I guess that is near some of our I've never known about relatives, she inquires after her family.  Of course not everyone in Minnesota knows everybody, but I guess it was worth a shot.  Especially since he was such an impressive dancer.  Gosh I wish men knew how to dance this day in age.  You actually had to learn the dances, and not just stand there while someone uses your lower half as a battering ram.

"I went out with a boy by the name of Don Graham last night from Bimigee (sp), Minn.  We went dancing and we had a lot of fun.  He was really a very good dancer and I think that I danced for 3 hours straight.  He doesn't know any of our relatives though.  He has only lived there 3 years.  He is a sailor."

When the world gets you down, all you want to do is click your heels and be whisked away home.  The loss of Marvel and her uncertain future in the Navy is weighing heavily upon Grandma.  She hasn't seen her family in 10 months and she needs to recharge.  I hope her leave goes through so she can return to Montana's ferocious grace.

Evening, McDonald Lake, Glacier National Park, 1942 Ansel Adams
On this day in WWII history

No comments:

Post a Comment