Monday, October 14, 2013

Monday, November 1, 1943

The Circus is in town!  I always forget what an event the circus is in the 40s.  There were parades and the train was always a spectacle.  Grandma is ecstatic!

"Tonight is the big night.  I am going to try to get my reserve seat for the Circus this afternoon.  I went down there once already and there was such a line that I couldn't wait cause I had to get back to work.  I am all excited to see it."

Grandma's mentioned it several times to her Father.  She knows that he would appreciate the Circus just as much as she would.  It is intoxicating learning personal details about Great-Grandparents I've never met.  Even as a grandchild you never fully know your Grandparents like you know your parents.  Your parents are humans with faults, desires, and crushed dreams.  Grandparents have a golden sheen to them.  They are eternally perfect.  No matter what your parents tell you.

Grandma loved to laugh.  She made jokes, and adored being teased.  I think she just played a prank on me while she's sipping her Bud Light with ice in heaven.  I'm waxing poetical about my Grandparents and my gaze is drawn to this saucy passage.

"We had a very nice time on our weekend and saved some money since we didn't have to buy our dinners.  I wish that would happen more often.  I could go to dinner nearly every night with kids that  bore me to death but I would just as soon but my own dinner and enjoy myself."

Grandma's advice about men was always practical.  Especially when it was unsolicited from 4 year old me.  As her only granddaughter, she provided me with her personal dating cheat codes.  The one that she didn't need to communicate was that you do everything with flare.  Betty Robinson had flare.

In between dating advice and the Circus, there is optimistic news from the War Front.

"They are taking the dimout regulations off all along the coast and tonight for the first time I will see Miami beach all lit up.  They say that is beautiful.  It will seem good to have the lights on again.  I guess maybe the war is coming more in our favor every day.  I heard the newsboy yelling the other day that Germany was getting ready to sign an armistice and so I bought a paper.  All I could find was an article an inch square on it.  Boy was I mad at wasting a nickel."

The newspaper boy sure did know how to sell a newspaper.  Wonder what company he's the CEO of now.
Let's play"Find Grandma in the Picture!"

2 comments:

  1. The first I've seen your blog. I appreciate your writing style and think I would've loved to have known your grandmother!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I hope you continue to enjoy it!

      Delete