Thursday, September 12, 2013

Sunday, August 29, 1943

Grandma passed her Yeoman 2nd Class test!  Unfortunately, she won't be able to become 2nd Class until October because she hasn't been 3rd Class for 6 months.  The Navy would give her a waiver if her quarterly grade in proficiency rates 3.8 or higher.  She had a 3.7!  Her Commanding Officer tried to speed the process along.

"He could have railroaded me thru but I said no because 1 month isn't a long time and I'd make enemies of other girls.  He told me he was glad I had said that and he said when I try for Ensign that if I meet all the qualifications that they won't turn down his request for my commission."

I am proud that my Grandmother decided to wait rather than pull strings.  Since she covets the rank of Ensign, I think she made the correct decision.  Also, I think her Commanding Officer might have been sweet on her.

On Wednesday, August 25, Grandma and 35 other WAVES were invited to the Rod and Reel Club for Dinner.  She says it is a very exclusive club.

"Very wealthy men belong.  We were the first women in there after 6 o'clock.  Not even the men's wives can go after 6."

I wonder if clubs like that still exist?  I know Gentlemen's clubs still exist in London, but are they in Atlanta or Miami?  While at the Reel and Rod club, she met Mr. Mahoney who invited my Grandmother and fellow WAVE Beverly Bent, to go deep sea fishing on his boat next Sunday.  Mr. Mahoney's wife will bring the lunch and they just need to bring themselves.  By the way, doesn't the name Beverly Bent remind you of some 1960s superhero's love interest?

This next part of Grandma's letter frustrates the bejesus out of me!

"I also met a famous ballplayer who was the White Sox best shortstop, in fact he's known as one of the best.  I forgot his name tho."

She can remember meeting Eustace Adams, a reporter for Red Book, Cosmopolitan, and Good Housekeeping, but she cannot remember meeting Vern Stephens or Luke Appling?  I'm pretty sure it was Luke Appling because he mainly played for the White Sox whereas Vern Stephens played for several clubs.  But seriously, C'MON! To her credit, all Grandma really has to say about Eustace Adams is, "He's very interesting to talk to but he looks like a typical author."

And the number one reason that I know I am truly my Grandmother's granddaughter is this statement:

"Please pardon the pencil but I'm too lazy to fill my pen."



No comments:

Post a Comment