Friday, September 20, 2013

Monday, September 27, 1943

World War II technology shocks me.  World War II creates the need for all of these advances, but it was so easily wonkified.  (Yes, that is a word)  My Grandmother mentions two things that are unacceptable now but were par for the course back then.

"I haven't heard from you since a week ago Friday.  What is the matter... Maybe the mail isn't getting through as well as it should."
AND
"Yesterday Beverly Bent, the girl from Boston, got a telegram that her mother was very ill so we all went into action and helped her get an emergency leave.  She got the plane out of here last night at 9:30.  She was given priority too so she should have landed in Boston this morning at 10 AM."

Flights used to take 10 and half hours to to go form Miami to Boston?  What the heck?!  Well, I'm guessing commercial airlines are going to have huge technological advancements in the 50s thanks to Lt. Joy Bright Hancock and her wonderful WAVES in the Naval Aeronautics division.  (I apologize if I got the Naval terminology completely wrong).  

Grandma talks about her Marylin in away that makes me finally relate to Marylin.

"What do you hear from Marylin?  As yet she hasn't written to me.  I suppose the poor kid is plenty busy.  Do you know whether she is going to work or just what she is planning to do?"

I can relate to Marylin in the fact that she seems not to understand what it is she is doing with her life.  I am in that stage of my life (again) where I've just recently graduated and I'm questioning my life choices.  What is my life meant to be?  What am I doing with my life?  I guess this blog is my response  those major questions.  I am taking a chance writing this blog and I'm not sure where this is leading me.  But, like so man members of my generation we are moving forward into the unknown.  Some of us not as gracefully as others, but we need to remember that we'll come out the other side.

This next paragraph made me understand just how peculiar I am sometimes.

"Saturday night I saw something very interesting.  A blimp was out over the bay demonstrating what it could do.  It would throw life preservers and provisions from the blimp to supposedly stranded people on the ocean.  It was very interesting."

So when Grandma said life preservers I thought she meant those little inner tubes that keep you afloat. Like you know "donuts."  So I thought "oh hey! donuts."  Then I thought about this giant blimp tossing donuts out to stranded survivors as forms of sustenance.  Then my brain went "Oh you know who likes donuts? Homer Simpson."  Then this picture formed of a giant Homer Simpson shaped Blimp tossing donuts to people in the water and him drooling into the sea over the donuts.  Ya, I think I'll leave you with that.

Grandma and Marylin

No comments:

Post a Comment