Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Tuesday, September 19, 1944

Transfers in the Navy or any military branch are common.  They often come at inopportune times, especially when a person is about to experience a major life event.

" The reason I didn't write last week is a long one.  I was very upset. They have combined our office with two other offices and I was up for transfer.  I was so afraid that I would be transferred out of Miami.  It just so happened that I know the most about Navy routine and they decided to keep me.  Thank heavens!  I just found that out yesterday."

Had you going for a second didn't I?

Grandma was so anxious about her potential transfer, she forgot what she wrote in her previous letter.  She re-thanks my Great-Grandmother for the same gifts as her last letter.  However, Grandma's roommate Bev gave her the best wedding present.

"Also, Saturday night I came home and had two big packages at the foot of my bed.  Bev gave me a whole set of dishes.  They are Vanity Fair by Nancy Lee and have 22 carat gold on them.  They are beautiful.  She gave me 8 dinner plates, 8 cups and saucers, 8 salad plates, 8 soup bowls, 8 smaller bowls, two big bowls, 1 platter, cream and sugar.  I was certainly surprised and thrilled.  Also, Mary, Dottie, Marietta and Bev gave me a beautiful white nightgown with a white chiffon negligee.  I am really beginning to feel like a bride."

I've seen one photo of both sets of grandparents' weddings.  The joy on their faces make them the happiest wedding photos I have ever seen.  It's not about the reception, the flowers, or the amazing food served afterwards.  It's that they will wake up tomorrow morning next to the person they will see every morning until death does part them.  They didn't get married for the wedding, they got married for the marriage.


Betty and her Gift Givers
On this day in 1944

2 comments: