Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Friday, September 8, 1944

They are getting married on September 26, 1944!  At exactly 7 PM!.  The wedding presents are already starting to roll in!  Lots of exclamation points!!!!

"I got the nightgown and the slip, pants and luncheon set.  I am thrilled with everything and they all just fit me.  The pants look so cute.  I can't wear the pants at the wedding because I am wearing a girdle and they would show.  I will put them on with my white uniform.  The slip just fits perfectly.  I still have the white slip you and Daddy gave me at Xmas time too.  I will write Peggy today and tell her."

Everything keeps coming up roses for Grandma and Grandpa: they have found an apartment they like, but there might be one hitch:

"We have a lead on that cute apartment that I told you about.  The man is getting in from Baltimore today and he wrote and told me that he would contact me.  He wants his apartment back, which is downstairs and by law he has to give the people that are in it now 90 days notice.  He might have to live in the one we want until they vacate.  He says if he can he will live elsewhere so we can have the one we want.  I am hoping and praying everything turns out OK.  It is such a cute space and in a nice neighborhood and is cool, and that is the main thing."

For a second I thought Grandma was saying that the apartment is awesome, but I quickly understood that when she said "cool" she actually meant the temperature of the place.  I had to think outside of my central air and heating brain for a second.  This is 1944 Miami after all.  Apartments in Georgia even now don't have central air and heating which is silly.  I cannot imagine 1940s Miami in the heat. Heck yes, give me the basement apartment that is like a cave.  I will buy ice blocks and sit on them. Thank you.

The only kink in their wedding plans is the dinner after the ceremony.  The San Juan restaurant is not really understanding the whole we are at war economy thing.  They are trying to up-charge my Grandparents since it is their wedding.

"We were going to have a dinner out at the San Juan after the wedding, but to have a cake they would charge $15, flowers on the table $15, service, $20 and then the food would come to around $30, so Bud and I are looking for another place.  I think that is just awful.  That was for only 7 people.  Prices are really high down here and they don't mind soaking the service men."

The wedding industry at its finest.

3 comments:

  1. Gosh, the similarities in your grandma's letters and my mom's are uncanny but I'm sure all newlyweds of the era had the same concerns--housing shortages, living expenses, etc. I just love reading your narratives and the way you weave in your thoughts. So glad you're sharing these. Such a labor of love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for continuing to enjoy these and I just hope I am doing them justice!

    ReplyDelete