Monday, May 25, 2015

Thursday, February 8, 1945

Now it's Grandma's turn for birthday joviality!  I am always so shocked by her age.  She's only 23 years old and yet she's already done so much!

"Here it is my birthday and I am now 23 years old.  It doesn't seem possible.  I guess the years will fly by now."

Grandma and Grandpa exchanged practical gifts for their birthdays as they might spend their money on going out tonight.  Yes, it's Grandma's birthday but the most exciting news is about Grandma's friend Beverly.  She finally got married, but to a completely different man than the one she was engaged to!  

"Beverly was married Monday night.  She married another boy, not the one she was going to marry and couldn't make up her mind.  She took a ring from the other one but has sent tit back to him.  She was married at the Catholic Church.  He is a Catholic too.  He is aboard a DE and gets in about once every 6 months.  He will be leaving here about the 28th.  They both have 10 days leave now.  They are honeymooning over on Miami Beach."

Grandma only goes on to write that she can't decide what to give them as a wedding present.  I was expecting more fireworks from Grandma. She certainly got into a fine fiddle a couple of letters ago.  I guess we shall see in the next couple of letters or so.

Red still hasn't contacted Grandma and Grandpa yet, and she hopes he does, but they are pretty strict where he is stationed.

"As yet Red hasn't called me.  I hope he didn't come through here and couldn't get ahold of us.  I hear when they are at the Port of Embarkation that it is hard for them to get out.  They are on call at all time and they don't grant them liberty.  I hope he can get to a telephone and at least call me up.  I would like to have him meet Bud and also I would like to see him."

And now I am going to leave you with the last line of this letter.  It brought tears to my eyes.

"The war news certainly looks good.  I am hoping and praying that it will be over soon.  It will seem good to be a civilian again and Bud and I will be able to settle down and have our own home."

No comments:

Post a Comment