Monday, May 25, 2015

Friday, February 2, 1945

February 2 is Grandpa's birthday.  Grandma is throwing a small dinner party and making one of her favorite cakes: Angel's Food cake.

"Today is Bud's birthday.  I got him a pair of pajamas and am trying to find him a pair of decent bedroom slippers.  We haven't got too much money to spend, but what I do have for him I want to be nice.  I baked him an angel's food cake last night and it came out perfect. ... I am still so thrilled at how well the cake came out that that is all I can think of.  Bud helped me make it -- he beat the eggs and that is what counts."

Grandma's old roommate Marvel is coming to Miami for a short honeymoon.  Grandma has not seen her since she left and she is so excited to see her.

"Tris (Marvel's Boyfriend) is in town.  He is getting leave on the 9th of this month and he and Marvel are going to be married.  They will be married the 12th and come down here on the 13th for a short honeymoon.  I am anxious to see Marvel.  She is going to wear a long white dress, but otherwise her wedding will be Navy style.  The Chaplain is going to marry them and her Commanding Officer is going to giver her away.  Her sister will be there to stand up with her.  Tris's Dad is going to be best man.  All of his boyfriends are in the service and are away so I think its is nice to have his father."

I love how she refers to this type of ceremony as Navy style.  Grandma and Grandpa's wedding must have been in the same vein.

It looks like a convention is coming to town.  Not only are Tris and Marvel heading to Miami, but Red is coming too!  Now Red is Marilyn's brother and we all remember Marilyn right?  Grandma's friend from back home who is always sickly and ends up marrying Grandma's old beaux?  Red is her brother and Grandma is anxious to see him!

"I got a letter from Marilyn.  Red told her to tell me that he will be here in Miami a few days before he goes overseas.  I am so anxious to see him.  He has my phone number and address so will get in touch with me when he gets here.  I am so anxious to see him.  I have been a little homesick and I want to see him badly.  I wish we could come home soon.  I am afraid it will be sometime in May.  That seems so far away."

I am praying that they get to see their families and friends soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment