Saturday, August 30, 2014

Thursday, August 17, 1944

Engagements are funny things in WWII.  Grandma goes on and on about how Grandpa and she are going to be married, but then she doesn't want anybody in Missoula to know about.

"I got a letter from Laura the other day.  She said that Gale Madsen told her I was engaged to Roy.  Laura told her I was engaged to a boy named Bud and Gale said that I more than likely didn't want anyone to know yet so I just used another name.  Honestly, I don't know what to think.  I didn't want anyone at home to know, except the ones that I told, but I suppose everyone knows.  Don't say anything to anyone about that now, will you?  I told Bud and he got kind of a kick out of it.  I haven't written and told Roy yet, but I might.  I never had any understanding with whatever with him.  Oh well, I will wait and see how things turn out."

Then there is more gossip from Missoula.  Grandma's friend Marilyn is causing quite a stir.

"Laura said that she had quite a long talk with Eddy and that he said that he still loved Marilyn and that he might marry her right away if he can get her away from Martha and those kids she has been going with. ... I also got a letter from Marilyn and she told me all about what happened when Eddy was home.  He promised her that he would come to see her every weekend in Calif. now He also told her he knew part was his fault and wants to start all over now.  Maybe she will snap out of a lot of this foolishness and get back to the old Marilyn.  I hope so."

Not only is Marilyn running around with the wrong crowd, but she's also picked up some fascinating quirks!

"Laura said they all thought Marilyn had some nervous reaction.  She has picked up a way of jerking her head like Helen Kilburn and Spike Hayes do.  Boy, I got a kick out of that, here she thought she was real cute doing that and everyone thought she was afflicted."

Who are these people named Helen Kilburn and Spike Hayes?  Who would knowingly go by the name of Spike as an adult?  Unless you're in Buffy the Vampire Slayer and really want to make an impression on the neighborhood coven. 

Marilyn is the Karen of my Grandmother's group of friends, and I feel for her whenever Grandma lashes out towards her.  Then I recall that she ends up ditching Eddy and marrying Grandma's high school sweetheart, Roy.  Yes, the same Roy Grandma has to reach out to before he finds out about her engagement.  Needless to say, Grandma gets some wiggle room when it comes to the topic of Marilyn.  Marilyn so desperately wants to be liked and when her guiding force (Grandma) struck out on her own adventures, Marilyn lost her way.  From what I saw and remember of Marilyn when I met her when I was 4, it seems she got herself back on the right track.

Grandma and Marilyn and CHIEF!

On August 30, 1944

No comments:

Post a Comment