Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Thursday, February 10, 1944

Grandma writes a quick note to her parents in this February letter.  She doesn't mention how her birthday went, but she didn't want to make a huge fuss anyway.

She sent my great-grandparents several photos of Biscayne Bay and Boulevard.  This letter serves as a list of captions for those photos.  Unfortunately they are lost somewhere in the family archives, but I will try my best to give you an idea of what my Grandmother is talking about in each photo.

"#1 is a liberty ship that is in Biscayne Bay.  It's being converted into a transport.  The island in back is the Start of Miami beach."

So here is a photo of Biscayne Bay in the 1938, 4 years before my Grandmother relocated to Miami.  Special thanks to Vintage Everyday.


I also wanted to show you what a liberty ship looks so you can super-impose the ship onto the photograph above using your minds eye.  We're using our imagination today people!  Thanks to Patricia Hysell for posting about the SS Patrick Henry the first Liberty Ship built during WWII in 1941.


You can see my Grandma's photo slowly merging in your mind's eye.  Alright onto the next photo!

"#2 is sailors marching down Biscayne Blvd.  That is part of Submarine Chaser Training School in background.  They have marked off the center of Biscayne Blvd. for the sailors to march to & from school."


Special shout out to Eye on Miami for finding this photograph.  I am absolutely thrilled that I am able to show you exactly what my Grandmother was talking about.  I think that is so neat.  Obviously the geographic location might be different because I do not know the exact location of the Submarine Chaser Training School.  If someone can tell me that would be great!

Grandma sends one final photograph of Biscayne Blvd.

"#3 which is looking right down the blvd.  The buildings are hotels all taken over by the Navy.  This isn't the prettiest part of the blvd. tho.  The Atlantic is off in the distance where I marked (X)."

Unfortunately the only photograph I could find is a postcard but I think it does Biscayne Blvd. justice.


Special thanks to JR Postcards for this one.  

And as always, special thanks to my Grandma for taking us on a tour of 1940s Miami.



No comments:

Post a Comment