Sunday, December 1, 2013

Tuesday, February 1, 1944

WWII doesn't play.  You cannot stop running even if you have a cold.  Grandma coughed for the last couple of days.

"I have been coughing so much lately that it was getting me down.  I went down and saw the Dr. today and he gave me some cough medicine that is helping already.  I hope that it rids me of that cough for good.  I also have been studying for my first class test so I don't do too much running around nor writing."

I'm glad to hear that Grandma is being so studious.  I find that when Shannon women find something they believe is worth working for they fight for it.  When I graduated undergrad, my father told me he was proud and impressed, because he didn't expect me to be studious.  Like I told him that day, I found something I cared about.

Grandma received word from several Missoulians this week.  Both of them seem to be sweet on her, but she is not entertaining any ideas.  

"Sunday night Bailey Stortz called me.  His ship was in here and he is now on his way to Trinidad.  I had lunch with him yesterday afternoon.  He is still as homely as ever but very nice, he likes to brag a lot though.  I pretend I am listening but my mind wanders all over while he is talking."

Grandma is without feeling however as she demonstrates with a Marine friend who is desperately homesick.

"I got a package from Gib LaVoie yesterday.  He is in Hawaii you know.  He sent me a yellow and pink gold bracelet.  It is that kind like Marilyn's watch chain is made from.  In the middle of it is a heart and that opens and he put his picture in one side.  I just about died when I got it.  At first, my one thought was to send it back to him but then I got to thinking that he only thought it would please me and he knows that we are just good friends and that's all we could ever be, and in his last letter he sounded so homesick that I wouldn't have the heart to send it back------ and anyways it is awfully pretty.  Oh, yes, on the heart he has the Marine Corp insignia.  I won't put my picture on the other side though."

More and more girls are joining the war effort.  Grandma's bunk is adding on another roommate and she's hoping to get an apartment with Beverly. Let's hope it works out.

No comments:

Post a Comment