Monday, August 17, 2015

Monday, March 5, 1945

I love it when Grandma says she doesn't have much to report, but then she types a page and a half.  Grandma and Grandpa are now that they have sent off the check to my Great-Grandma.  Now they can start saving for their leave.

"I suppose by now you got that check, Mother.  I hope that it came to you at a good time.  I hope you didn't faint or anything.  Bud and I have paid all our debts and don't owe a thing.  We have started on a budget now and are really going to save money, we hope.  We want to get leave and we won't be able to ask for it until we have the money to go home.  We are hoping we will have enough by May, but it might be later.  Bud's sister is going to be married in July (that is when her husband to be is to graduate) and they would like to have us there at that time.  I think it would be nice if we could.  So, it might be in July when we get home.  If it is at all possible for us to get there sooner we are going to come because we both want to go home so badly."

Well, there's some baby news, but definitely not from Grandma.  Beverly, Grandma's old roommate, who was engaged to one man, but then got married to another MIGHT be pregnant.  On the other side of the map, her husband is on a boat that will not dock back in Miami for 8 months.  

Bev's husband has gone back to Panama.  He doesn't expect to get back into the states for 8 months or more.  Beverly was supposed to have come sick about a month ago today and hasn't yet.  She has been having dizzy spells int he morning for the last 5 or 6 days.  She hasn't gone to the doctor yet to see if she is pregnant, but it certainly sounds to me like she is.  She is going to wait another week and if she doesn't come sick then she will go to the doctor.  They will give her a medical discharge right away.  I think she is a little bit scared but she doesn't mind having a baby.  I think she hates to leave the Waves."

Apparently, Grandma's ex-beaux has not been very gentlemanly.  Well, Marilyn and Roy finally had it out and apparently Gib (Gib, who's Gib?  I have no clue either) is badmouthing my Grandma!  The Gaul!

"Marilyn said that Roy was in Los Angeles for a few hours and she met him downtown and had a good old talk with him.  He is going to get a pass and come up and see her as soon as he can.  I was floored at what you told me Gib told the Geils.  I wrote him sometime ago but yet have not received an answer.  I would like to hear from him and from Roy but I suppose they won't ever write anymore.  After all, even if I am married I should think we could still be friends.  Bud doesn't care as long as I show him the letters.  In fact, he opens my mail before I do sometimes.  So you see, there is nothing I keep from Bud.  I just like to keep in touch with the kids and keep up on the news.  I hear from Laura all the time and Aileen now and then."

We shall see what happens when Grandma and Grandpa get some leave to go to Montana, and Grandpa meets the two non-gentlemen.  Also, Grandma would have adored Facebook.  

Grandma and Some of the Kids
On August 17, 1940

2 comments:

  1. You can feel in the wording how important "home" is to your grandma. Even with all the friends coming and going, it sounds like they really have their hearts set on getting there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grandma was so close with her family. Great Aunt Peggy and Grandma talked every day, multiple times a day. They truly were soul sisters!

      Delete